1. The truth is there is nothing to see in Azerbaijan
via Flickr: Francisco Anzola
Baku Old Town “Icharishahar”.
2. There is nothing modern about this country
via Flickr: Niyaz Bakili
Flame Towers in Baku.
3. And no sign of ancient history
via Wikipedia: Xlodvig
4. Nature is boring and ugly
via Youtube: Igor Byshnev
5. Streets are littered with bottles and cans
via Flickr: Dieter Zirnig
Nizami Street – central street in Baku. Previously known as Torgovaya.
6. Buildings are in standard soviet architecture style like this
via Wikipedia: Urek Meniashvili
Ismailiyya building in Baku. Built by oil baron Musa Naghiyev to memorialize his son, Ismail, who had died of tuberculosis. The building is based on the design of Palazzo Contarini in Venice.
7. Novruz holidays? Well, everyone celebrates it all over the world
Novruz Holiday is a traditional holiday in Azerbaijan celebrated every year on 20-21 March.
8. National cuisine is all about hamburgers and French fries
Some samples from Azerbaijani cuisine: pakhlava, lule-kebab, dovgha, chicken saj, dushbara (meat dumplings), dolma (stuffed eggplant, tomato and pepper), yarpag dolmasy (dumplings inside grape leaves), kufte-bozbash (meatball soup), tendir bread.
9. Azerbaijani people just hate to hang out and party hard
10. And nobody heard about contemporary art
Javad Mir Javadov – Dance.
11. First inhabitants appeared there only in 20th century
Gobustan Petroglyphs dating back between 5,000 – 40,000 years.
12. Landscapes and towers are disappointing and uninspiring
“Sumuq-Qala” tower in Ilisu village, Qakh district.
13. You can’t find any natural wonders here. Even a fire coming out of the ground
via Flickr: Stefano Bolognini
Natural wonder of Azerbaijan: Yanar Dag (burning mountain).
14. Or mud volcanoes…
via Flickr: Nick Taylor
15. Nights in Baku are so disgusting. You’d better not go out
via Flickr: Y Nakanishi
16. Villages are deserted all around the country
Village in Shaki.
17. Everything is plain grey and white inside the buildings
via Flickr: Raphaela
Inside the Palace of Shaki Khans.
18. Let’s agree with a simple fact: Azerbaijan is a terrible place to visit
via Flickr: ashmieke